I love simple analogies. Like Forest Gump said, “life is like a box of chocolates,” I’m finding life lessons in my blackberry pickin’ these days. Here are eight things I learned earlier today …
- It’s important to change perspectives regularly to view life differently. With blackberry pickin’ you find a whole lot more when you walk one way and then turn and walk the other. Life gives you more options.
- Root around, explore, get dirty. Don’t just live on the surface, really be in the experience.
- Blackberry pickin’ isn’t hard per se, but it’s hot when they ‘come on’. You might get scratched by the leaves or run into poison ivy, but the reward of hard work is sweet (literally).
- God offers free gifts everywhere, all the time. We just have to open our eyes to see them. Blackberries are proof.
- Birds love blackberries too. It’s good to share.
- Like blackberry bushes, life will prick you if you’re not careful. Pay attention. Some (not all) of it is avoidable.
- Picking blackberries is an every day job during their blooming season, otherwise they’ll go to waste. Stay diligent.
- The differences between blackberries, raspberries and other berries are slight. Some are medicine while others are poison. People are like that too. Choose to spend time with those who are like medicine for your soul.